Skip to main content

The End of a Decade?! - Tea Talk

Wow! We are literally heading into a new decade. How weird is that? For memory sake, I've been thinking about all the BIG MOMENTS I've had in the 2010's. Since I've been all about simple joys, I thought it would be cool to do a post on those moments so I can have something to look back on in another decade.

Here goes nothing... 
  • In 2010, I graduated from High School. This was my first big moment of 2010. I remember being so excited to graduate high school and start college! It was also exciting to be a Senior in High School, to rule the school haha. Senior Year was definitely my best year of High School for many reasons. I had a great set of friends during this time of my life, I finally felt like I was coming into my own, I was in a new relationship, I had stood up to my bullies after years of shit from them and the future was so bright. I couldn't wait to leave High School behind and start a new. I can't believe so much time as passed! I left that place and didn't look back.
  • College! I started college at my hometowns local University in the Fall of 2010. I remember being so nervous on my first day that I showed up for class an hour early. Luckily, one other student was just as nervous as I was and showed up an hour early too. We chatted and became good friends. I wasn't nervous anymore. I figured, hey, at least I know someone now? Campus seemed HUGE, and I felt so small. I look back now and realize how pivotal starting college was for me. The fact that I finally was able to do my own thing, without having my friends as a crutch. It felt frightening but freeing.
  • Long Distance Love. My boyfriend and I (aka my Soon-to-be Husband) started dating just before our Senior Year in High School. We went to to different colleges but we stayed together and did the long distance thing. Granted, he was only 2 hours away. I remember this being really hard. I missed him all the time. A small part of me counted down the days until we could graduate from Undergrad because I hated being apart. 
  • Two job Shawty. In Undergrad I worked at a Jimmy Johns with a bunch of college students who were around my age. It was a fun place to work and I became one of the fastest sandwich makers there. I was a total HBIC when it came to making those sandwiches haha. I also worked at my University, as a Front Desk Student Assistant. One top of that, I was taking 16-18 credit hours a semester and volunteering as a Program Advisor for my major Department. I wasn't playing any games. I look back now and I have no clue how I wasn't exhausted lol.
  • Graduation. I graduated from undergrad in December of 2013. Yes, I finished undergrad in 3 years because of course I did. I wanted to be done and move on to the next thing. My fiancé graduated in May of 2014. Two huge moments. We were so excited to both have our Bachelors degrees and I was even more excited that he was coming home!
  • Grad School. My fiancé and I both started Masters programs at the same local University in Fall of 2014. Grad School was a great time. I also worked as a Graduate Assistant for the University's Academic Catalog during this time, which was actually hard work but I knew it was great experience. I was grateful for that job; it paid for my tuition. I remember being so nervous though, wondering if I'd make any friends or how the work load would be but it all turned out to be a wonderful experience for me and helped me break out of my shell. I think I enjoyed Grad School more than Undergrad because I knew that this was a stepping stone for my career. I was also more self aware by then, and had a better idea of who I was and wanted to be. My fiancé and I graduated with our Masters degrees in April of 2016, together. Another milestone! 
  • I got my first REAL job. In December of 2015, I left my Graduate Assistantship for a Full-Time job at the University I was pursuing my Master degree at (where I also got my undergrad degree from as well). 4 years later, I'm still here. This was a big moment for me, securing a job before graduating.
  • Big Shock. In May of 2017, my paternal Granny passed away. It's still hard to believe she's gone. She was such a huge part of my life and one of the strongest women I've ever known. I still miss her like crazy and not a day goes by where she doesn't cross my mind. I will never meet another person like my Granny 💓.
  • He Put a Ring on It. In October of 2017, I got engaged at Disney World to my High School sweetheart. I know, it sounds so sappy haha. One of the most exciting days of my life to date. The only thing that I think will top that is our wedding day next year. My fiancé proposed under fireworks, as we were surrounded by my family.
  • Trips on Trips. Lots of vacations have happened in the last decade; too many to name but I can't wait to travel even more. My fiancé and I try to fit in as many trips as we can in a year, even if it's just for a weekend. We love to see new place, big or small. 
  • 2018-2019 was a Blur. The past two years has been a lot of working, wedding planning, saving money and preparing to move into our first home. This will carry over into 2020 as we finish preparing for the wedding and moving. I'm so excited for everything to come. GAH!
Most importantly, in the last decade I've GROWN so much. It's almost like I look in the mirror and see who I aspired to be 10 years ago. I am so proud of myself, which I don't take enough time to say. I don't pat myself on the back enough but just reading this, makes me want to tear up. I've learned how strong I really am. 

The last decade has been me figuring out where I fit in this world. Everyone jokes that I am a old soul but I embrace that now, it's good to be wise. I've learned how to help others but also help myself. I have so many younger girls who look up to me and see me as a mentor, which gives me so much joy. I'm marrying the love of my life in a matter of months. And I've realized that no matter what life throws at you, there is always some good out there. I really couldn't ask for more. Thank God for his many blessings!

"Out with the old and in with the new" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Christian But ... - Tea Talk

Happy Tuesday to those who have taken the time to stop by my little corner of the internet!  Whelp, I'm about to get deep. Fair warning.  Recently, I have been thinking more & more about how awesome God is to love us despite our many flaws. He made us in his image and continues to love and protect us even though most days, we fall short.  My family has always been believers in God. While we may not have always been avid church goers, I have always known who God was and that everything I have is thanks to him. My Mom has always been a prayer warrior, and instilled in me very young to PRAY and seek God for everything. Every night I find her on her knees praying before bed. If I could describe an earthy Angel, it would be my Mom. Speaking of Angels, I think of my Paternal Grandfather, who we called Papa. He was a man of faith through & through, most of his days were spent reading his Bible, that he read front to back time and time again. As he got older, he would li...

The Art of Letting Go - Tea Talk

Happy Tuesday! Last week I finally did something I've been debating for months. I kept going back and forth in my mind. Should I do this? Do I really want to close that door for good? Is this super petty? The truth is, I'm big on closure and when I don't have any type of closure, I struggle moving on completely . My former friend of 4 years randomly walked out of my life over a year ago now. Yes, I was ghosted. And no, nothing happened to cause the ghosting. I really don't get how to you do that someone, especially after nothing happened? So again, back to closure. I deleted said-ghosted friend off of all social media platforms. I NEEDED closure and this was about the only way I was going to get any from her. I think the icing on the cake was her post 2-3 weeks ago that said something along the lines of "it's great having TRUE friends" . My thought was, as if the friends you had weren't "TRUE" enough, apparently you have moved on and now...

Here We Go

Hey there, friends! I'm Hil, and I am an Introverted twenty-something living in a small town. I am engaged to my high school sweetheart and a Mom to one cute fur ball pup. I love to organize, craft, plan, travel and enjoy life with my loved ones. I tend to have dry sarcastic humor, I never pass up donuts, I love vintage items, finding a good sale gives me life and I wish it was Christmas all year long. I have a huge heart but I can be sassy when needed and I am constantly working toward becoming the best version of myself. Some days I fall short, but I never stop striving towards getting where I want to be. We are all a work in progress, and that's okay! We all know that adulting is hard. After a long day at work, there are times where I’m so exhausted when I get home I don’t have much energy left to do the things I love, like knitting or reading a good book. There are other days when I am so stressed that it seems like the walls are closing in on me. Lately, I’ve bee...