Skip to main content

Social Anxiety I'm Coming for You - Tea Talk

Happy Monday! This year I've really made an effort to try and work through some of the anxiety I face in social situations. As long as I can remember, I've always been shy, reserved and introverted but I don't think I really started feeling anxious about social events until my teens. Day-to-day, I'm fine if I am in my own element but it's something about having to step outside of my comfort zone that has always rattled my brain. It's almost like I am trying to predict who will be there, if they will be friendly or not like me at all, and if I will fit in. I then try to think of a backup plan or an exit in case my worse fears end up happening. These are all the things that cross my mind as I prepare to go to an outing with people I may not know, which kinda sucks the fun out of it! 9 times out of 10, everything ends up fine and then I realize I wasted days leading up to the event worrying and stressing over things that aren't even reality.

It wasn't until this year that I actively began to work through my social anxiety and take a look at what was going on in my head. Before, I somewhat told myself it wasn't a big deal to not go to an event due to fear. I started to look back at things I declined because I was afraid of the "what if" or things I did end up going to but made myself miserable because I didn't know what to expect. I woke up one day and knew that somethings gotta give. I was ready to admit this was an issue, which opened the door for me to start finding ways to cope. Of course on the outside I look completely fine but on the inside I feel myself sinking into a hole of "WTF, I can't do this".

This year I also started to embark on a spiritual journey to deepen my walk with God. I realized that a lot of my anxiety came from fear of the unknown, but I also realized sometimes it's okay to not know. I shouldn't be carrying all of these worries; God would want me to be happy and free of fear, worry and stress. He'd want to be go to a wedding, for example and live my best life! I began to pray and journal, asking God to guide me and to give me strength when I begin to have these feelings. Instead of just basking in all these fears, I would instantly start to pray about it and send those feelings up to God instead of carrying them alone. It's amazing what prayer can do.

I've slowly but surely changed my mindset and started to think more positive. Yes, when things come up, I still get anxious but it's no where near where I was. This month alone, I did 3 things that I typically would decline. I'm starting to tell myself "yes, you can" instead of staying home and wondering how things would have gone. That is not to say I am going to go to every event that is brought my way, but the things that do seem interesting, I am challenging myself to step outside the box and go. In that, it is also realizing that it's okay to not click with everyone, that doesn't mean I still can't have a good time and that doesn't mean I need to then go home and internalize everything that happened.

I finally opened the door for God to take the lead, fully and completely. Here I am now, almost through 2019 and I can not say that I am magically cured of anxiety but I am getting better! This is something I'm sure I will have to keep working at everyday, but at least now I know I can get through this and at least get to a place where I am not a hostage of my own mind. There is always hope; there is always room for personal growth and positive change. All of which is easier said than done but it's possible. I know now that I can face anything head on through Christ who strengths me, even if it is as simple as going to a birthday party. Of course I'm only speaking for myself and my own experiences and what has been helping me, everyone's journey is complete different. I'm still a work in progress and I'm okay with that... Regardless, Social Anxiety, I'm coming for you!

"As I get older, the more I stay focused on the acceptance of myself and others, and choose compassion over judgment and curiosity over fear (Tracee Ellis Ross)."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Christian But ... - Tea Talk

Happy Tuesday to those who have taken the time to stop by my little corner of the internet!  Whelp, I'm about to get deep. Fair warning.  Recently, I have been thinking more & more about how awesome God is to love us despite our many flaws. He made us in his image and continues to love and protect us even though most days, we fall short.  My family has always been believers in God. While we may not have always been avid church goers, I have always known who God was and that everything I have is thanks to him. My Mom has always been a prayer warrior, and instilled in me very young to PRAY and seek God for everything. Every night I find her on her knees praying before bed. If I could describe an earthy Angel, it would be my Mom. Speaking of Angels, I think of my Paternal Grandfather, who we called Papa. He was a man of faith through & through, most of his days were spent reading his Bible, that he read front to back time and time again. As he got older, he would li...

The Art of Letting Go - Tea Talk

Happy Tuesday! Last week I finally did something I've been debating for months. I kept going back and forth in my mind. Should I do this? Do I really want to close that door for good? Is this super petty? The truth is, I'm big on closure and when I don't have any type of closure, I struggle moving on completely . My former friend of 4 years randomly walked out of my life over a year ago now. Yes, I was ghosted. And no, nothing happened to cause the ghosting. I really don't get how to you do that someone, especially after nothing happened? So again, back to closure. I deleted said-ghosted friend off of all social media platforms. I NEEDED closure and this was about the only way I was going to get any from her. I think the icing on the cake was her post 2-3 weeks ago that said something along the lines of "it's great having TRUE friends" . My thought was, as if the friends you had weren't "TRUE" enough, apparently you have moved on and now...

Here We Go

Hey there, friends! I'm Hil, and I am an Introverted twenty-something living in a small town. I am engaged to my high school sweetheart and a Mom to one cute fur ball pup. I love to organize, craft, plan, travel and enjoy life with my loved ones. I tend to have dry sarcastic humor, I never pass up donuts, I love vintage items, finding a good sale gives me life and I wish it was Christmas all year long. I have a huge heart but I can be sassy when needed and I am constantly working toward becoming the best version of myself. Some days I fall short, but I never stop striving towards getting where I want to be. We are all a work in progress, and that's okay! We all know that adulting is hard. After a long day at work, there are times where I’m so exhausted when I get home I don’t have much energy left to do the things I love, like knitting or reading a good book. There are other days when I am so stressed that it seems like the walls are closing in on me. Lately, I’ve bee...